Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Kahani Mein Twist

Kahani mein twist

I am jealous of people who have the ability to plan their lives and then follow through with the plan. As far as I am concerned, the plans I make for my life NEVER work out the way I want to. Don’t get me wrong, I am not dissatisfied with my life, just wondering how people manage to carry out the ‘plans’ they create for their life.

The first plan I remember making for myself was that I would definitely study English literature and the arts and make a career as a journalist or a writer. Well, a year after I made that ‘plan’, there I was taking up sciences as my major after class 10th and studying to be an engineer. I blame that one on outside influences (read Parents). It turned out that the change in plan was actually good for me (or so I like to think).

The second plan I had was not to go outside Delhi for my education. I think the failure of this plan was probably one of the best things that happened to me. I discovered something else I enjoyed other than writing and reading. I actually enjoyed computer programming and 8 years after graduating from college and masters in comp science; I am a fairly successful software professional. (Even though I say so myself)

The third plan I made was not to get married early. Well, if you have read my earlier blog, you would have found out that this one totally blew up in my face (I meant that sentence to be positive). 6 months after I graduated, even before my older sister got married and before I knew what hit me, I was married and on a flight to Dallas!

It seems to me that I don’t really learn from my mistakes. So many twists in my life weren’t enough for me so I made another plan. I wanted to have a baby and I planned for it to be a girl! Well everybody and their grandmother knows that there isn’t much you can do to guarantee the gender of your future child. But true to myself, I made a plan. Guess what, I did have a beautiful baby in December of 2005 (As planned mind you) but it was a boy!!!

As if this wasn’t enough, I make plans everyday. Of starting an exercise routine, of waking up earlier, of eating healthier, of going off rice, getting to work early, taking time to read to Vivek, the list goes on. Well, some of these plans fizzle out even before starting and some stay on for a bit before I make other plans that overtake these. Is anybody else seeing a pattern here? I like to think of it as being ‘flexible’ and I am sticking to that story no matter what comments get left behind for this blog. Either that or I like to see plans fail. I prefer the latter reason.

Whichever one it is, my plans for myself don’t really work out. Is it the irony of life or maybe a higher power’s sense of humor? Whatever it is, I am glad that the ‘planning’ worked out the way it did because right now I like with where I am. And there is another plan forming in my head right now…

5 comments:

M A said...

if I would write what I think in my mind.. it would summarize to be this.

This is awesome writing and in one way or another you are being a writer.

Swati Aparaju said...

hahaha. Kaki ki kaki pilla muddu :P

Thanks for the encouraging words...

Unknown said...

Humari planning bhi kuch aisee hee thi.. To pursue Science, but ended up in Commerce... to become a pilot, but ended up in Sales :( .. not to get married so early, but here I am baby sitting my darling hubby :) ..
But hey.. no regrets.. All that happens, happens for a reason.. and I am sure enjoying every moment of it .. :)
Love the blog Swati Jee :)

Swati Aparaju said...

Thanks Amrita.

It seems like a lot of people's lives don't follow plans. Hmmm, I wouls sure like to meet somebody who is leading life as planned. Or maybe such a person is a myth....

Mangrove Wealth said...

babes..:).. catch up with Dasvidaniayah..:)